If you have a diagnosis of Chronic Obstructive pulmonary Disease, we can help you manage your lung condition and, if your condition gets worse outside of hospital, offer a Rapid Response service. Our Rapid Response team will contact you within two hours and visit you in your own home if required. We can also lend you a nebuliser if you need it.
If you or anyone in your home has COVID-19 symptoms, please tell us before coming to our clinic, or arranging a home visit.
You must wear a face covering (unless exempt), use the hand gel provided and follow the latest social distance guidance while you’re here.
We’ll be in touch with you within five days of your referral.
We’ll then assess your needs and recommend a number of treatments and self-help methods, such as:
- Pulmonary rehabilitation courses to improve your fitness and breathing
- A full respiratory assessment in your own home or clinic, including monitoring your oxygen levels, listening to your chest, assessing your breathing and reviewing your medications and if you use an inhaler, we’ll check your inhaler technique
- Six monthly and annual reviews if you have an oxygen prescription
- A care plan so you’re prepared in case your condition gets worse in the future
- Education about your condition, including how to recognise any signs that it’s getting worse
- Support from our team when you’re unwell
- Self-help information, including chest clearance techniques, breathing control to help shortness of breath and lifestyle changes
You’ll work closely with our respiratory nurses and physiotherapists to manage your condition and keep you out of hospital.
Cardiac Rehabilitation is part of our Cardiac and Respiratory Specialist Services (CARSS).
- Cardiac Rehabilitation (visit the service page)
- Heart Function Service (visit the service page)
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation (visit the service page)
- Respiratory Service
You can be referred to CARSS while you’re in hospital, or if you’re registered with a GP in West Berkshire and over the age of 18.
Depending on your needs, we may refer you to our other CARSS teams if we feel that you would benefit from their support and advice.
If you have Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), confirmed by spirometry, and have a Berkshire West GP, your GP or healthcare professional can refer you into our service by completing a referral form and sending it to our Integrated Hub.
If you’ve been referred to our service in the past, you can contact us directly to re-refer yourself.
For routine referrals, we’ll be in touch with you within five working days of your referral.
Referrals to the service are accepted between 8am and 4:30pm Monday – Friday.
Call 0118 904 6555
Select the follow options
- Press 1: Respiratory Service
- Press 2: Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Press 3: Heart Function
- Press 4: Pulmonary Rehabilitation
“I could not have managed without the nurses coming to see me at home. I was so anxious before they came to see me. Since they have been coming, I am not as nervous about being breathless and I understand my disease a lot more. Thank you so much for your support.”
“My husband is so much happier since you have been to see him. He used to worry me a lot and we spent many times seeing our GP, we even had to go to hospital a few times. It is such a comfort and has made such a difference to us knowing that you are at the end of the phone and I can call you whenever I am worried.”